Conover & Grebe, llp

Call For A Personal Consultation with an Attorney Today

A California power of attorney allows financial caregiving

Aging California parents frequently choose a loved one, often an adult child, to handle personal finances when they no longer desire or feel competent to make wise money decisions. You might start out informally by using a parent's PIN code to make an automatic teller transaction or step in to reconcile a bank statement.

Money management for a parent may seem like a natural part of caregiving, as much as taking over yard chores or grocery shopping. Laws don't govern how you clip hedges, but they do kick in when you assume financial responsibility for another person. The job even has a title - fiduciary.

Financial arrangements between parents and children can remain informal, unless a parent is incapacitated. The assets and liabilities of a parent unable to make choices are not yours to manage without legal permission. An estate planning tool called a durable financial power of attorney eliminates the need for an adult child to get a court's approval to handle a parent's finances.

The document, initiated by the parent, designates a person or third party to take control while the parent is alive, but no longer capable of making financial decisions. Powers of attorney also exist that give fiduciaries the right to manage finances for a parent who can but no longer wants to cope with money management.

A fiduciary's allegiance is to the person who made the choice to trust him. You are managing property and money on behalf of someone else, a duty that should not overlap with personal financial interests. Improper decisions, like commingling a parent's money with your own, can be challenged in court.

Many people are thrust into a fiduciary position with little knowledge about the duties they are supposed to perform or the limits of the law. A parent can make the transition easier by including a proposed fiduciary in discussions with an estate planning attorney.

Source: BizTimes, "A guide to managing someone else’s finances" Jason Alderman, Jan. 14, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Started

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

3424 W. Carson Street
Suite 320
Torrance, CA 90503

Toll Free: 866-661-9751
Phone: 310-776-9028
Fax: 310-542-1588
Torrance Law Office Map

Anaheim Hills Office
155 N. Riverview Dr., Ste. 207
Anaheim Hills, CA 92808

Toll Free: 866-661-9751
Phone: 310-776-9028
Anaheim Hills Law Office Map